How do I know if my motorcycle stator is bad?
The most obvious symptoms of a bad motorcycle stator include no spark, weak spark, or intermittent spark (also known as misfiring). Hard starts and a poorly running engine can also be clues that your stator needs to be rebuilt or replaced.
What causes stator to fail?
When a stator fails, it is largely due to the degradation or aging of its insulation through external occurrences and materials being introduced into its system.
Can a stator go bad from sitting?
Stators do not go bad from sitting unless the mag housing is full of water.
What happens when a stator fails?
The stator coil generates the power for the spark plug and other accessories on small engines Without a stator there would be no spark at all, meaning the engine won’t run. While a stator is dying, it can produce a weak spark, causing the engine to miss or run poorly.
Will a bad stator drain a battery?
Will a bad stator drain a battery? As far as the battery, yes a bad stator/regulator can destroy a new battery. If it’s run at a very low voltage without being recharged then it can be destroyed. … In most cases if we replace a stator or regulator the battery has to be changed as well as it won’t hold a charge.
What causes a motorcycle stator to burn out?
A bad diode in a rectifier will dump AC current into a system. The AC current heats up the stator and the heat destroys the insulation and ultimately carbonizes it turning it into a low resistance brick.
Can a stator be repaired?
Fixing a stator usually involves unwinding and cleaning the original stator core, then rewinding it with a machine or carefully by hand. It starts with looking at the coil heads for damaged or burned wires, then cutting out the protective rubber coating from damaged coils.
How long does it take to replace a stator?
A good tech can change a stator in 3 hours and a belt in 6 or 7 hours. Your belt should go over 100,000 if it has been properly maintained.
Can a CDI go bad from sitting?
Capacitive discharge ignition (CDI) is a super simple little circuit inside the box (old school stuff). The core of the system is a capacitor. Capacitors do not like heat nor do they tolerate over voltage well. Sitting unused has some effect on them as well.
Will a bad rectifier damage a stator?
If the rectifier/regulator failure results in too low resistance the stator probably will burn (too much current). If I disconnect the rectifier/regulator the voltage will go up, but how high? Is it possible that the voltage will go high enough to destroy the isolation?